Plan Ahead For Busy Holiday Travel
If you are traveling during the holiday season, don’t let the stress of the hustle and bustle get you down. Realize ahead of time that there are millions of others that are also traveling and take steps to help cope with the situations that may arise due to the busy holiday traveling season. Travelchannel.com has provided the following tips to help you survive and calmly get to your destination.
HOLIDAY TRAVEL TIPS
- Do Your Research: Plan alternative routes when traffic gets overwhelming. Maybe there is a more scenic route that might take a little longer but has less traffic. When flying, be sure to check the airline’s restrictions ahead of time. Know the fees for carry-on luggage and checked bags.
- Stay Connected: Load your smartphone with all the latest travel apps before leaving home. There are apps to provide updates on flights, airport lines, cheapest gas, cleanest bathrooms, etc. You name it and there’s probably an app for that!
- Pack Light: If possible, avoid checking bags at the airport altogether.
- Pack Earplugs: The best way to escape stressful surroundings is to escape to a quiet place. Pack earplugs to turn down the crying babies, loud music, or loud talker sitting in the next aisle!
- Pack Snacks & Drinks: It’s more difficult to remain calm and make good decisions when you are hungry and your belly is growling. Always have snacks handy for when the need arises.
- Ship the Gifts or Give Gift Cards: For lighter travel, ship your gifts ahead of time or give gift cards.
- Travel on Off-Peak Days: The day before the holiday is always the most highly traveled. Try traveling on the actual holiday to avoid crowds and traffic.
- Travel Early or Late in the Day: Flights that leave early in the day are on-time more often. And avoid heavier traffic on the highways by traveling by car through the night.
Busy holiday travel is much easier to cope with if it is expected and planned for accordingly. While the hectic crowds and stress may not be completely avoided, one can definitely overcome the challenges by considering these tips when planning travel. Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East!