Learn Important Fire Safety Measures...Be Prepared, Just in Case!
According to ready.gov, a fire can spread quickly, becoming life threatening in just two minutes. And in just five minutes, an entire home can be taken over by flames.
In the event of a fire it is important to know what precautions to take to help ensure that you escape safely.
- Stay low, crawling under the smoke to the exit
- Before opening a door, feel if it is hot. If it is hot, do not open the door and find another exit. If you do open the door, open it very slowly and be prepared to shut it quickly if smoke or fire is present.
- Tell firefighters right away if pets are trapped inside.
- If you are unable to escape, close all doors, cover vents and cracks around doors with cloth, call 911 explaining where you are, and signal from a window with a light cloth or flashlight.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll!
Fires can be devastating, spreading quickly and leaving little time to plan an escape. Being prepared by learning important safety measures and planning escapes can help ensure safety in the unfortunate event of a fire disaster.
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East provides emergency service following fire damage. Our fire technicians respond quickly to secure the site and can help restore the structure as well as its contents following a fire.