Use Turkey Deep-Fryers with Caution!
This time of year, many are looking for different ways to prepare the Thanksgiving turkey and some consider deep-frying. A deep-fried turkey can be delicious – very flavorful and juicy. However, this cooking process can present fire and safety concerns. State Farm Insurance highlights some very helpful safety tips and precautions to protect against fire and injury.
- Keep outdoor deep-fryers off decks, out of garages, and a safe distance from trees and buildings.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and dry before cooking. Water and oil don’t mix!
- Place the fryer on a level surface and avoid moving it once in use.
- Follow the instructions to avoid overfilling with oil.
- Smaller turkeys are recommended. Turkeys over 12 pounds are not recommended for deep-frying.
- Never leave fryer unattended.
- Turn the burner off before lowering the turkey into the oil. Once the turkey is submerged, turn the burner on.
- Skip the stuffing if deep-frying.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer at all times.
- Once finished, remove the pot from the burner; place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing.
More helpful tips, can be found on the State Farm website. SERVPRO of Cincinnati East wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season. Keep in mind that in the unfortunate event of fire or smoke damage, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including holidays) for emergency service.
The Importance of Maintaining the HVAC System
Over time, HVAC systems can get dirty and then potentially circulate dust, pollen, mold, or other contaminants throughout a home or business. This risk for poor air quality makes it important to have the HVAC system routinely inspected and maintained.
The SERVPRO of Cincinnati East professionals can inspect HVAC systems and make recommendations about the best way to address air quality concerns. Maintaining the HVAC system not only provides cleaner air to breathe, but it saves money by allowing the system to run more efficiently. It can also help eliminate odors as well as reduce the potential for mold growth.
Make it a priority to have your HVAC system and ductwork routinely inspected. Call us at 513-575-4113 or CLICK HERE to learn more about how SERVPRO of Cincinnati East can help!
Happy Halloween from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East!
Happy Halloween to all our valued customers, coworkers, and friends! Here are just a few quick tips to help ensure your night isn’t spoiled by an accident or mishap! Have the kids wear reflective tape or stickers and always cross the street in a crosswalk…carrying flashlights is also suggested. These tips are always important, but especially if it happens to be a dark, stormy night! For better vision, try makeup or face paint instead of masks. And for fire prevention, costumes should be flame-resistant or flame-retardant and decorations should never be placed near flames. A battery-operated light to light up your carved pumpkin is also a much safer option than a real candle. Don’t forget to check the kids’ candy for anything that looks suspicious. And if you are out driving during trick or treating hours, use extra caution. Be safe and enjoy the night!
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East
Subtle Signs of a Water Problem
Water damage can be a major headache for a property owner. From the actual damage it causes to the structure and contents of the property to the expense of the mitigation process, it can cause a major disruption in the lives of anyone having to deal with it. And the longer a water leak goes unnoticed, the worse the damage can be. So, it is very important to always look for subtle signs of a water problem.
Signs to Look For:
- Blistering or bubbling paint on walls, ceilings, and baseboards
- A loose sink faucet or a laminate countertop that is detaching
- Floors with buckling hardwood planks or loose tiles
- Drywall and ceilings with yellow or brown stains
- A musty scent
If you come across any signs that there may be a water issue at your property, don’t delay in getting it inspected and the problem resolved. Quicker action results in less damage and less costs. SERVPRO of Cincinnati East responds 24 hours a day, 7 days week. Give us a call…We are Here to Help! 513-575-4113
Why is it Important to Respond Quickly After Water Damage?
When it comes to water damage, as minutes, hours, days, and weeks pass, the damage gets worse.
Within minutes, the water spreads through the property, saturating and contaminating everything in its path. Water is absorbed into walls, floors and furniture, possibly causing furniture finishes to leave permanent stains on the carpets. Anything paper, like books and photos, begin to swell and warp.
Within hours, drywall begins to break down, metal surfaces start to tarnish, furniture begins to swell and crack, and that dreadful musty odor appears.
Within days, mold and mildew may begin to grow and spread, anything made of wood will swell and warp, paint begins to bubble and blister, and the threat of a serious biohazard contamination becomes possible.
And after a week, the structural safety of the building is compromised, biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants, and the restoration time and costs have increased dramatically.
A quick response is important to help minimize the damage as well as the cleaning and restoration costs. The SERVPRO of Cincinnati East technicians are experts in water damage restoration. They understand that water is very invasive, spreading quickly throughout a property. They arrive quickly to start the restoration process and help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Safety Tips to Help Prevent Kitchen Fires
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking!
The American Red Cross offers many helpful suggestions to help avoid fires in the kitchen.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use a timer to remember that the stove or oven is on.
- Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves while cooking.
- Keep children away from the cooking area.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove or oven.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to avoid the buildup of grease.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand and understand how to use it properly.
- Make it a routine to check the kitchen before leaving the home or going to bed each night to ensure that the stove and oven is turned off.
- Install working smoke alarms near the kitchen and on each floor of the home, near bedrooms.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries regularly so that they are always in good working order.
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is locally owned and operated so we are ready and able to respond quickly to any fire damage emergency. If you find yourself in any fire damage situation, give us a call! 513-575-4113
SERVPRO OF CINCINNATI EAST to Offer 3 Hour Continuing Education Course for OHIO & KY Credits on September 19th from 12:30pm - 3:30pm
We are excited to be hosting another upcoming Greater Cincinnati Insurance Board continuing education insurance credit course entitled, “Distracted Driving with Tom Ryan, AIC.” This seminar will give the attendee an analysis of how distracted driving affects insurance. Distracted driving is defined as any activity that diverts attention from safe driving. It includes talking or texting on your phone, eating or drinking, talking to people in your vehicle, adjusting the radio or navigation systems, and impairment due to alcohol or drug use. This seminar will address these issues as they relate to auto liability insurance. Topics covered include the history of distractions, coverage issues, claims analysis issues, and criminal issues based on distracted driving statutes.
The course is approved for 3 credit hours in OHIO and KENTUCKY and it will take place at our Cincinnati, Ohio location at 2115 Schappelle Lane, Cincinnati, OH on Thursday, September 19, 2019 from 12:30pm to 3:30pm.
CLICK HERE to find out more information and to register!
Learn Important Fire Safety Measures...Be Prepared, Just in Case!
According to ready.gov, a fire can spread quickly, becoming life threatening in just two minutes. And in just five minutes, an entire home can be taken over by flames.
In the event of a fire it is important to know what precautions to take to help ensure that you escape safely.
- Stay low, crawling under the smoke to the exit
- Before opening a door, feel if it is hot. If it is hot, do not open the door and find another exit. If you do open the door, open it very slowly and be prepared to shut it quickly if smoke or fire is present.
- Tell firefighters right away if pets are trapped inside.
- If you are unable to escape, close all doors, cover vents and cracks around doors with cloth, call 911 explaining where you are, and signal from a window with a light cloth or flashlight.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll!
Fires can be devastating, spreading quickly and leaving little time to plan an escape. Being prepared by learning important safety measures and planning escapes can help ensure safety in the unfortunate event of a fire disaster.
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East provides emergency service following fire damage. Our fire technicians respond quickly to secure the site and can help restore the structure as well as its contents following a fire.
SERVPRO OF CINCINNATI EAST to Offer 3 Hour Continuing Education Course for OHIO Credits on September 19th from 8:30am - 11:30am
We are excited to be hosting an upcoming Greater Cincinnati Insurance Board continuing education insurance credit course! The class is entitled, “Ohio FAIR Plan Seminar with Jim McKee, CPCU, AIS, API, AIM.” This seminar will give the attendees valuable information about the Ohio FAIR Plan Underwriting Association. It will provide an overview of Ohio FAIR Plan procedures, policies, coverages and other information. Topics covered will include types of policies written, coverages, application, underwriting procedures, claims as well as other helpful information.
This course is approved for 3 credit hours in OHIO only and it will take place at our Cincinnati, Ohio location at 2115 Schappelle Lane, Cincinnati, OH on Thursday, September 19, 2019 from 8:30am to 11:30am.
CLICK HERE to find out more information and to register!
Exterior Painting has Functional Benefits
Are you looking for ways to update the look of your home and gain functional benefits as well? Painting your home’s exterior might be something to seriously consider.
Functional Benefits of Fresh Exterior Paint
- Protection against the elements: Rain, wind, snow, and intense sunlight can all be harsh on a home. Paint acts like a protective shield to the exterior surfaces and can even increase the life span of siding.
- Maintains structural integrity: Unprotected wood is susceptible to water damage which can lead to mold and mildew which in turn, can break down the structural integrity of the home.
- Better curb appeal: A home with a fresh coat of exterior paint can be attractive to a potential buyer. If a buyer likes the outside, there is a better chance he will like the inside.
- Identification of insect damage and prevention of termite damage: The painting process can uncover insect damage and infestations can be stopped.
Not only is fresh exterior paint one of the most cost-effective home projects, it makes a home more pleasing aesthetically and offers these functional benefits as well.