Home Fires and Live Christmas Trees
In the fire restoration industry, the holiday season can be a time when we see an increase in home fires. Many families love the tradition of picking out a live Christmas tree, bringing it home and beautifully decorating it for the holiday season. But what some fail to take into consideration is the fire hazard that comes along with having a live tree.
The American Christmas Tree Association offers the following safety precautions to help avoid home fires associated with live Christmas trees.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. Fresh trees are less likely to ignite.
- Always place the tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, heat vents, and lights.
- To keep the tree from drying out, make sure the tree base is always filled with water.
- Make sure all Christmas lights are safety tested and avoid using damaged lights.
- At bedtime, turn the Christmas tree lights off.
- When the tree begins to lose its needles, it is time to properly dispose of the tree.
So this year, if a live Christmas tree is included in your decorating plans, make sure to follow these guidelines to help avoid a home fire disaster!
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East!