If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (513) 575-4113

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Live Christmas Trees and the Mold Risk

12/4/2017 (Permalink)

When decorating for the holidays, most people do not consider that their live Christmas tree could be a source of mold in their home. Mold thrives in moist environments. Live Christmas trees are usually cut far in advance of the Christmas holiday and then stored in a moist environment in order to keep them fresh. And once the tree is brought into the home, it is placed in a container of stagnant water. This container of water in addition to the moist tree trunk is the perfect condition to encourage mold growth.

According to webmd.com, a study was done measuring the relationship between mold growth on live Christmas trees and poor indoor air quality. Mold count measurements were taken daily for a two week period and showed that mold levels escalated as time progressed.

Unfortunately, mold spores can be difficult to destroy and the best way to reduce the problem is to take preventative measures. An artificial Christmas tree might be a better option. They do not harbor moisture and are even less expensive in the long run. But if a live Christmas tree is a must, shake as much debris as possible out of the tree before bringing it into the home and then only keep it in the home for a few days.

Have a very happy holiday!

SERVPRO of Cincinnati East

Other News

View Recent Posts