Archived Commercial Blog Posts
The Message of Martin Luther King, Jr. Stands the Test of Time!
Martin Luther King, Jr. was an influential civil rights leader who believed in the power of words and peaceful demonstrations to portray his ideas and beliefs. Each year, on the third Monday of January, we celebrate his life and achievements. While the message of Martin Luther King was mainly about equality and civil rights, there is so much more that can be taken from his examples. He believed very strongly in what he preached, but he never resorted to violence in order to portray his messages. As a matter of fact, he strongly discouraged any forms of violent protesting. Instead, he promoted peace and love for all mankind, using powerful speeches to portray his ideas. In the difficult times that our country has been experiencing lately, this may be one of the most important lessons that we can learn from Martin Luther King. Whatever our cause may be, violence is never the best way to get the support and results we desire. So today let’s remember the words of Martin Luther King, “Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Mankind must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.” These words definitely stand the test of time.
Incorporate Giving Back Into Holiday Traditions
The holiday season means time spent with family, enjoying meals together, exchanging gifts, and other family traditions. But the holiday season is also the perfect time to remember the less fortunate and incorporate giving back into your family holiday traditions.
There are many creative ways to give back. And not all acts necessarily involve a large monetary commitment. Here are several great suggestions:
- Leave a note of cheer on someone’s windshield.
- Give a complement each day leading up to the holiday.
- Pay for the order of the person behind you in the drive-thru line.
- Bake cookies and bring them to a nursing home or the fire department.
- Offer time at a local animal shelter to walk dogs or simply spend time with them.
- Purchase a few $5 or $10 gift cards and give them to those that you interact with often like the mailman or a cashier.
- Anonymously pay someone’s layaway.
- Donate the spare change in your car to the Salvation Army on your way into the store.
Even the smallest acts of kindness can have an impact. They can brighten the recipient’s day as well as your own and anyone who witnesses the act. They can have a ripple effect, inspiring others to give as well. These are just a few ideas of ways to spread kindness and joy to others during the holiday season. What can you add to this list?
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East wishes you a joyous holiday season of giving!
Stressed About Holiday Shopping? Here Are Some Tips!
Now that Thanksgiving is upon us, the holiday shopping season will kick off in full force with Black Friday shoppers racing to get the best deals of the season. For many of us, the holiday shopping season is a time of stress and anxiety. How can I possibly stay within my budget and wow everyone with gifts on Christmas morning? Realsimple.com has provided a list of shopping survival tricks to help anxious shoppers get through the holiday season.
- Make a List: Yes, make a list and check it twice! Write down everyone you plan to buy for, including those that you will want to give holiday tips (mail carrier, hair stylist, etc.) Include gift ideas and the maximum amount you are willing to spend. This will help with managing your budget.
- Start Early: Don’t wait until after Thanksgiving to begin your shopping. Keep an open “Christmas gift buying mind” all year long. You just might happen upon the perfect Christmas gift for dad in July!
- Research Online: Research brands or models for particular items online before buying. Read online reviews and feedback for just about anything you are considering. Check price comparison sites to find the best deals available on items you wish to purchase.
- Brave the Black Friday Crowds: The day after Thanksgiving is truly a day for good shopping deals. If you are willing to fight the crowds, you may save some money on Black Friday.
- Take Advantage of Cyber Monday: Cyber Monday is the Monday after Black Friday and is the biggest online shopping day of the season. Most retailers participate by offering discounts on this day so if you have online shopping to do, be sure to check out Cyber Monday.
- Get No Cost Holiday Shipping: Look for Free Shipping deals whenever possible when shopping online for holiday gifts.
This season take the stress out of your holiday shopping. Consider these tips in order to lessen your holiday gift spending and still provide the perfect gifts for your family and friends! Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East!
We Appreciate Our Dedicated Employees & Trusting Customers!
Well, it’s that time of year again to reflect on what we are thankful for! As Thanksgiving approaches, we at SERVPRO of Cincinnati East would really like to take this time to thank our dedicated employees and trusting customers.
We are very thankful for our dedicated employees. Our office staff and the water and fire crews put in long hours day after day. They are willing to put themselves in messy situations in order to help families and businesses get their lives back in order. They are eager to learn new processes so that we can continue improving on our services to our customers. We are very appreciative of their continual efforts.
We are thankful for our customers. We appreciate the confidence that our customers place in us to help them through their difficult times. From homeowners, to business owners, to agents and adjusters, we appreciate their trust in us to handle the job right.
During the hectic, chaotic times when disaster events are occurring, it is difficult to take the time to give thanks. So for this Thanksgiving season, we want to be sure that our employees and customers know that we appreciate them!
Happy Thanksgiving from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East!!
We are Thankful for Your Service!
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East would like to take this opportunity to thank our American Veterans!
Veterans Day, November 11th, is a special day set aside to honor American veterans, both living and dead, who have devoted themselves to serve our great country. This day is dedicated to showing our American veterans that we appreciate the sacrifices they have made to preserve the freedom of our country.
Veterans Day is a federal holiday and some Americans will even benefit with time off work or school. As we enjoy this break from the daily grind, we should definitely make an effort to thank veterans and show our appreciation for the sacrifices they have made.
How about sending a note or a card to a veteran either in the hospital or living in a retirement home? A brief, in person visit would be even better! Asking a veteran about his service and just listening to his story is a great way to show appreciation. Attending a Veterans Day event, proudly flying the American flag and donating to a veterans organization are also all ways to show appreciation.
So this year, be sure to remember and appreciate those who have sacrificed to provide our freedom! Find a way to thank a veteran!
Safety Suggestions for the Office
Accidents often happen at the office that could be prevented with just a little common sense! Slips and falls frequently cause injury at the office and a little thought and care could help prevent this.
- Before sitting down at your desk, check behind you to make sure your chair hasn’t rolled away!
- If you are carrying something, don’t stack things up so high that you can’t see directly in front of you!
- Proceed with caution if the floor is wet or slippery!
- Don’t read or text while walking!
- Hold the handrail when using stairs!
- When carrying larger items like boxes, use the elevator!
- Close desk and file drawers before walking away to avoid tripping over them!
- Wipe up spills or wet floors in order to prevent slipping!
- Keep floors and aisles clear of electrical cords.
While it may seem easy to follow these tips, often times a hectic day at work can lead to rushing or just overlooking the small things that can be dangerous! Just slowing down a little bit to ensure safety can definitely save time in the future!
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East Offers Continuing Education Course 9/20/17
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is offering a free continuing education insurance credit course entitled, “Understanding the Restoration Industry: Property Fire Damage Restoration.” This course is for OHIO licensed agents and will be held at our Northwest Cincinnati location at 2115 Schappelle Lane, Forest Park, Ohio, 45240 on September 20, 2017 from 8:00am to 12:00pm with registration beginning at 7:30am. Please note that 100% attendance is required to receive CE credit for this course. Breakfast will be provided!
This course has been designed to teach and explain the special procedures used by professionals in mitigating and restoring fire damage claims. The purpose of the course is to provide insurance professionals a better understanding of what the insured is going through when they experience a fire damage situation as well as what is involved with the work performed by the mitigation vendor at fire damage work sites. Those in attendance will learn emergency tips which can drastically reduce the cost of the claim if performed in a timely manner and they will see examples of work performed to mitigate fire damage.
For reservations or more information, contact SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati at 513-541-3200.
Please RSVP by September 13, 2017!
Course Number: 43375-OH
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East Supports The Greater Cincinnati Police Athletic Association
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East proudly supports The Greater Cincinnati Police Athletic Association. This organization is made up of retired and active Cincinnati Area Police Officers who organize and conduct charity and civic programs in the community. Their goal is to help those in need of food and clothing and additionally, help needy youth sports teams with sponsorships and uniforms.
A few of the programs made possible by The Greater Cincinnati Police Athletic Association include:
- Shop with a Police Officer- enables needy children to purchase Christmas gifts.
- School Clothes for Needy Children - provides needy children with back to school clothes.
- Easter Food Baskets – distributed to churches and needy families.
- Day at the Zoo - allows under-privileged children to enjoy a day at the zoo.
- Sports Sponsorships & Reds Tickets - supplies needy youth sports teams with uniforms and groups of needy children the opportunity to attend a Reds game.
- Drug & Alcohol Prevention Magazine – printing magazine for distribution to schools to educate kids and parents on dangers of drug and alcohol use and preventative strategies.
Many charities in the community benefit from the efforts of The Greater Cincinnati Police Athletic Association. SERVPRO Cincinnati East is thrilled to support such a great organization to help the less fortunate children of our community.
Is Your Business Prepared if Emergency Strikes?
Many business owners are caught off guard when disaster strikes. Thinking that it would never happen to them or never even considering the possibility of a disaster, they fail to have a plan in place for their business. Unfortunately, many times, once disaster strikes, it’s too late. Many businesses are forced to close permanently after disaster because they were not prepared.
According to foxbusiness.com, there are 7 steps you can take if you are a small business owner to help protect your business from disaster.
- Risk Assessment: Determine what types of emergencies are most likely to affect your company and then evaluate your level of preparedness. Check in with your insurance company, make sure employees are trained for emergencies, have data backed up and stored at a safe location.
- Review Your Insurance Coverage: Talk with your insurance agent to make sure your business is covered if hit by disaster. After determining what types of emergencies your business is most prone to, make sure your policy covers those particular types of situations. Ask about business interruption insurance which helps business owners continue to pay on-going bills while operations are shut down during disaster recovery.
- Create a Contingency Plan: Review your business operations and determine which are most important for the survival of your business. Form a process to manage these functions in the event of a disaster. Determine an alternate business location where business operations can continue during the recovery process.
- Create a Communications Plan: Disasters create chaos and having a communications plan in place in advance will help minimize panic.
- Back Up Your Data: Making sure all your data is backed up and stored in a safe place is critical. Cloud-based data solutions are best as they stay safe during disasters and can be accessed from any location.
- Build An Emergency Kit: Have an emergency kit available on site including items like water, flashlights, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Review and Rehearse You Plan: Once your plan is in place, make sure your employees know the plan and have practiced implementing it.
While disasters can be devastating to a business, preparation can definitely help in the recovery process. By taking action before disaster strikes and getting a plan in place, business owners can help protect their business in times of emergencies.
Is Your Business Ready if Disaster Strikes in Milford, Ohio?
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East responds quickly, 24 hours a day/7 days a week if your Milford, Ohio business is suddenly hit by an emergency or disaster. We have the resources and expertise to handle any size disaster. From a small business building to a large high rise building, we can handle the situation.
According to research, nearly 50% of businesses permanently close following a large disaster. Of the businesses that do survive, the majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. We are always ready to respond when disaster strikes your business, did you know that we can also help you set up a preparedness plan for your company before disaster strikes?
SERVPRO of Cincinnati East can help you pre-plan by developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business. With this plan in place, the interruption of your business operations is minimized because you will have an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do in advance of an emergency is key to timely mitigation and can minimize the damage to your company.
Visit https://ready.SERVPRO.com/home/readyprogram to find out more about the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Program! Be “ready for whatever happens.”
Spring Cleaning...Don't Forget the Office!
When it comes to spring cleaning, most people think of it as referring to their homes. But where do you spend so much of your time during the week? Spring cleaning shouldn’t be just for the home, the workplace can also benefit from a good cleaning!
How about those desk drawers?
Just like your junk drawers at home, filing cabinets can collect a lot of unnecessary items in a year’s time! Take the time to go through your drawers at work. Keep and organize the essential items and throw away the rest!
Are your filing cabinets in order?
After a year of use, does your closet at home stay organized? Many times filing cabinets become disorganized over time. Sort through your papers, organize what you need to keep and throw away or recycle the rest.
What is that stuck between the keys of your keyboard?
After a year of snacking at your desk and dust mites flying, computers and electronics need a good cleaning. Take some time to wipe down monitors and spray your keyboard! Get those crumbs out!
Germs are everywhere!
When was the last time you wiped down your office phone? How about the surfaces of your desk and chair? With so many employees working together, illnesses are bound to spread! Use disinfectant spray and wipes to keep those germs away!
Spring is finally here and it is time to start fresh, declutter and organize. So open the office windows, take a breath of fresh air and rejuvenate your workspace with a good spring cleaning!
An ABC Lesson from SERVPRO of Cincinnati East
It's Back-to-School time. And with the spirit of the back-to-school season, SERVPRO of Cincinnati East would like to offer the following lesson on the ABC’s of SERVPRO…
A - Air: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East inspects heating, ventilation and air conditioning units (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
B – Biohazard: Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences. A failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments. SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is trained to safely remove biohazards and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations.
C - Commercial Services: Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of Cincinnati East has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients.
D - Disaster Recovery: The SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help whether you're dealing with a tornado, hurricane, blizzard or flood. The SERVPRO System has a network of strategically positioned storm teams on standby should a disaster strike near you.
E – Equipment: In the event of water damage, expert knowledge and state of the art equipment are paramount for effective drying and restoration. Trained SERVPRO of Cincinnati East professionals use exceptional equipment and expertise to first create an environment favorable for drying and then to extract and eliminate moisture from the structure.
F - Fire Damage: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East has the specialized fire and water damage cleanup and restoration training and experience to quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. We also have specific training and equipment for odor removal and deep cleaning of upholstery and carpet.
G – Guidelines: As one of the nation's leading providers of restoration services, SERVPRO has developed the most extensive performance guidelines in the industry. These guidelines assure you receive the best restoration service in the industry.
H - Highly Trained: In addition to training at the regional level, SERVPRO developed the National Training Center to teach restoration and mitigation skills to Franchise Owners, employees, and insurance industry employees.
I - Insurance Services: SERVPRO strives to maximize the satisfaction of insurance companies and customers by developing and managing business-to-business relationships within the insurance industry.
J – Job: No job is too large for SERVPRO to handle. Our elite large-loss specialists are prequalified and strategically positioned throughout the United States to handle any size disaster.
K – Knowledge: SERVPRO professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are highly trained in property damage restoration, from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certification.
L – Local: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is a locally owned and operated business. We live and work in this community too, so we are close by and ready to respond immediately when you need cleaning or restoration services.
M – Mold: Any home or commercial property can quickly become infested with mold if a source of water is present. And mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48 hours. If mold is found, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
N - National Network: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is part of a national network of over 1,650 Franchises, which allows us to respond quicker with more resources.
O - Odor Removal: As experts in deodorization, SERVPRO of Cincinnati East Professionals are trained to identify and eliminate offensive odors.
P - Property Restoration: Restoring property is the first priority of SERVPRO of Cincinnati East. Customers appreciate the immediate response and should know that everything is being done to limit the damage.
Q - Quick Response: In many cleaning and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. SERVPRO of Cincinnati East provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
R - Restore First: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East Professionals clean and restore property using specialized equipment and cleaning techniques. Their “restore first” mentality reduces interruption and gets customers back to their life.
S - Storm Damage: Storms occur with little warning and can be devastating. Regardless of the type of storm, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can handle any size disaster. During catastrophic storms and major events, our Disaster Recovery Team can respond quickly with additional resources.
T – Trusted: SERVPRO is a Trusted Leader in the industry with over 1,650 Franchises.
U - Upholstery Cleaning: Upholstery and carpet materials vary dramatically. The SERVPRO System offers a number of cleaning options to match any type of upholstery or carpet.
V – Vandalism: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East will act quickly to remove vandalism and graffiti from home and commercial spaces. In addition to removing spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls, we can also clean driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry.
W – Water Removal: Professionals at SERVPRO of Cincinnati East are water removal and cleanup specialists and are ready to help when flooding or water leaks cause water damage. Crews quickly dry the property using state-of-the-art water removal equipment and advanced drying techniques, documenting the drying process to make sure the property is dry and the job is done right.
X – eXtraction: Water extraction removes the majority of the water from the home or property. By performing a thorough water extraction, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals help reduce the drying time which helps to prevent mold and secondary water damage.
Y - Your Peace of Mind: The goal of SERVPRO of Cincinnati East is to restore both the customer’s property and their peace of mind through timely mitigation.
Z – oZone: SERVPRO of Cincinnati East uses commercial grade ozone machines to eliminate odors in spaces. Ozone machines efficiently and effectively break down organic matter, killing the odor at its source.